Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hungry? Check. Dinner in 15 minutes? Check.

Around 4 o'clock every day the hubby is probably sitting at his lonely corner desk thinking about leaving work and figuring I'll be calling any minute. That's part of a little "game" I like to play. hehe. I call to check in and see how his day is going and ask him one burning question; he prefers I not ask of him, "Hey Honey, what would you like for dinner?"

Although I prefer being super organized and have, in the past, made menus on Sundays for our weekly meals, I've been lazy lately. I think it has something to do with my guilt for not going to the gym as much as I'd like to. I'm sure all the ladies can empathize with how hectic our lives can be. I have work, try to keep the house clean, take the dogs out if I can before it gets dark, make dinner, make lunches for the next day, relax, prepare for work the next day, and then squeeze in going to the gym. I find that if I make time right after work, the probability of me actually getting my booty to the gym is a lot higher. 

Since I'll be at the gym around the time the hubby gets home, dinner needs to be either ready and waiting for him or quick and easy for me post workout. This is where my 15-30 minute dinners come into play. I may overdo these sometimes, but hey, I'm a busy girl. Sorry boys. 

How about a weekly entry? Fabulous! We'll call it, "Dinners You Can Make with Your Eyes Closed."
Week 1: A Tandoori Delight

Ingredients:
-Tandoori roasted chicken. I buy one from Whole Foods, but they are available at any supermarket. A regular roasted chicken will work as well. 
-How about a roasted eggplant for all the veggies? Or tandoori seasoned tofu?
-Roasted bell peppers. The red ones. I usually just buy the ones in the jar. If I had more time, I'd roast them under the broiler or on the gas stove top.
-Naan. Again, I buy this at Whole Foods. It's either available in the freezer or fresh in the bakery section. You can buy it plain or garlic flavored.
-Feta cheese. This is just what I prefer, but you can use any type you like.
-Olive oil 
-Minced garlic
How-to:
-You have to take the chicken apart. I like to eat bits and pieces while I do this. Yummm..it is so juicy. Separate the meat from the bone.
-Cut the naan into sandwich bread pieces.
-Place about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl and add 1 clove of minced garlic. Smash it with a fork or spoon to get the oil nice and garlicky.
-Spread the olive oil on the naan.
-Place the naan on a cookie sheet that is covered in foil (for easy clean-up) and broil it for about 5 minutes. That's how it works in my oven, but yours may be different. You just want to warm it up.
-Cut bell peppers into slivers.
-Last step, put it all together. One piece of naan, a few slivers of bell peppers, a nice heap of chicken, and sprinkle feta cheese on top. I also like to slip it under the broiler for a minute or two in order to soften the cheese. Finish it off with another piece of naan. Yumm. 

I've served this with couscous, seasoned potatoes, green beans, or salad. 

Sounds good, huh? Maybe I'll make this tonight and post some real live action pictures. 

What do you suggest I serve it with next time? Any ideas on how to improve this recipe?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Trader Joe's also sells very yummy frozen Naan. Good tip with the roasted chicken.