Thursday, April 28, 2011

Brassy to Classy

That title makes me laugh. It's so cheesy, but appropriate for this quick project.

Our current house definitely has the smallest bedrooms we've ever lived with. They are all pretty much the same size, even the master bedroom; unless you include the master bath as additional square footage. I actually prefer smallish bedrooms because they don't allow to you to furnish the space just to fill the space. You basically have to stick to the essentials and forget about the fluff and it doesn't look odd like it would in a humongo room.

When we moved in, our big tufted headboard just wasn't working for me anymore. It just seemed too large and kinda stuck out like it didn't go with our other bedroom furniture. I've always hoped that the hubby would be willing to replace the dresser and side table, but he's actually attached to it for sentimental reasons. It's not that I don't like it, it's just never been my style. Mission style furniture just isn't my fave. But, at this point we've decided we're holding on to it until...I don't know when, and the tufted headboard; it just had to go.

Enter The Lettered Cottage. After seeing the amazing transformation Layla did on her PB inspired headboard, I jumped out of my seat and began my Craigslist search for the "perfect" headboard to replace our big ol' one.
 
{pottery barn version for lotsa moola}

{TLC version for a lot less and beautiful!}

My "perfect" headboard was not initially so perfect on purpose. Here were my criteria: cheap, similar shape as the PB version, needed the round finials (I don't know why this stood out for me), and cheap. After a few days of searching I found one for $20. Score! It was brass, had almost the exact same shape as the PB one, and it had the round finials. Although when I got it, one of the finials was broken. That ended up being a bit of an ordeal to fix, but that's not important. 

{imagine something like this}

Since my headboard was not already painted like Layla's and I believe mine had a smoother texture, I decided to first prime the headboard using a tinted grey spray paint primer and then painted over with the oil-rubbed bronze. Three days, two cans of primer, and one of the oil-rubbed bronze and I was done! Yippee!

{all done. bad lighting.}

{with bedding}


Thanks to The Lettered Cottage for the inspiration. I saved a bajillion dollars (actually, more like a $1000). It actually ended up being "free" since I paid for the brass headboard and materials with cash I got from selling the old headboard and I had some left over. This made the hubby especially happy. 

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Just curious how this finish is holding up as I have a fabulous vintage jadeite green sink with chrome legs and I want to spray the legs oil rubbed bronze and replace the faucet with an oil rubbed bronze faucet. Nice job!

lifeinthepiedmontvictorian.blogspot.com

sbo said...

Hello there, simply become alert to your weblog thru Google, and fosbobetund that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels

decorayadora said...

Nice Job !!! I love you blog.You have new follower from Chile!!!

Saimnicy said...

Nice blog <3

vuhelp.net said...

SO nice blogger

Unknown said...


Also a profession system should not be missed and ZeniMax Online here is based again on its own template. Unlike many other MMOs materials must not be collected cumbersome, but also be obtained via rewards. Six Professions: "Supply", "forging", "alchemy", "Enchant", "carpentry" and "tailoring" are sentiments as available. It is even possible to investigate all occupations. The crafting points can be distributed freely. Who ArcheAge Online Gold wants to be champion, but must focus on two jobs.

Anonymous said...

e cigarette, electronic cigarette starter kit, ecig, best electronic cigarettes, ecig forum, e cigarette